What are Terpenes? Terpenes are potent organic elements that occur in plants from around the globe. They provide incredible smells, delicious flavours, and therapeutic benefits to the fruits you love, the forests you’ve explored, and now, the hemp products you use to bring health and wellness.
What is a Terpene?
Terpenes are a broad range of organic compounds found in nature. They are aromatic, flavorful, and therapeutic. In their natural environment, these scents can be used to attract or repel insects and herbivores allowing the plants to thrive. When you step into a forest, the delightful and soothing scent of wilderness that greets you is a mixture of the many plant terpenes floating in the aerosols carried by the air. Being exposed to these forest terpenes is exceptionally beneficial to human health, so imagine how effective these products can be when administered in concentrated amounts.
So, how does this all relate to CBD?
CBD is a therapeutic compound that occurs in the hemp plant. Hemp, as many of you know, gives off a powerful scent. This scent is a result of the terpene content found within the hemp flower. You are likely familiar with the pungent nature of cannabis and hemp. This strong scent comes from myrcene, one of the most common hemp terpenes. Apart from myrcene, CBD rich hemp strains contain a complex mixture of terpene compounds that provide signature smells. These unique scents can range from piney and earthy to floral and fruity. Just as the hemp scent can vary, the different combinations of terpenes influence the body and mind in unique ways!
CBD and Terpene Synergy
CBD terpenes oil is an excellent way to boost the impact of your hemp treatment. Recent research has demonstrated that a combination of hemp compounds, including cannabinoids like CBD and terpenes, is more beneficial than taking them separately. This synergy is known as the entourage effect. Due to the entourage effect, each terpene compound modulates the therapeutic action of a CBD product, allowing deeper physical integration and mental clarity.
A Detailed List of Terpenes
There are over 20,000 terpenes that have been identified in the natural world. Cannabis and hemp produce roughly 100. Out of these 100, there are a few compounds which occur frequently and heavily influence the benefits of hemp administration. Terpenes essential oils are potent healers on their own, but when terpenes synergize with cannabinoid compounds, we receive a rejuvenating and soothing experience. This powerful combination is one of the many reasons that hemp and cannabis have been used as medicine for more than 5000 years.
Common Hemp Terpenes:
- Myrcene (musk, cloves)
- Linalool (floral, spice)
- Pinene (pine, sweet)
- Caryophyllene (wood, spice)
- Humulene (earthy)
- Limonene (citrus)
- Ocimene (floral)
- Bisabolol (sweet, floral)
Each of these terpenes also occurs in many other plants. Here are a few examples:
- Myrcene: lemongrass, citrus
- Linalool: lavender, citrus, rosewood
- Pinene: conifer, trees, pine
- Caryophyllene: basil, black pepper, oregano
- Humulene: hops, basil
- Limonene: lemons, peppermint
- Ocimene: mandarin, basil, peppermint
- Bisabolol: basil, chamomile, cedarwood
Unique Terpene Benefits
We are about to dive into the specifics of each of these terpenes, but first, let’s look at one of the most critical effects of taking terpenes with cannabinoids. Research has shown that terpenes can allow cannabinoids to readily cross the blood-brain barrier directly increasing their impact on the human system. This means you will always receive an extra kick from your product when enjoying these delicious terps.
- Myrcene is a potent anti-inflammatory compound. It also prevents the break-down of the body while promoting its growth. This terpene has a well-documented sedating and motor relaxant effect. In larger doses, it also deepens sleep.
- Linalool is famous for its ability to relieve stress and depressive symptoms. This delightful terpene also has potent anti-inflammatory properties and can also reduce painful sensations.
- Pinene has neuroprotective properties and can help with memory retention. This pine terpene has anti-microbial effects, giving it the ability to fight bacterias and fungal cells. Just like many other terpenes pinene also reduces inflammation.
- Caryophyllene shows promise in assisting cancer treatment. This terpene also fights inflammation and reduces pain.
- Humulene is another potent anti-inflammatory. It truly shines in the treatment of allergic asthma symptoms.
- Limonene is a useful mood elevator, and some studies have found it to be more effective than common anti-depressants. Limonene is also capable of balancing hormone levels within the human system.
- Ocimene is one of the significant elements of natural plants that provide anti-oxidant, anti-proliferative, and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Bisabolol reduces pro-inflammatory cytokines. Cytokines are known to activate sensory neurons that create the sensation of pain. Due to this cytokine reduction, and other mechanisms, bisabolol is helpful in pain management.
CBD and Terpenes Go Hand-In-Hand
It is easy to see how potent terpenes are when administered alone. Terpenes, however, are just one type of plant compound. There are many plants available to us that can benefit and improve our lives. Hopefully, this information inspires you to explore the medicinal plants that are available to you.
CBD terpene products are an excellent way to discover the power of plant medicine. In combination, cannabinoids and terps boost the overall effects of the product, increase the number of cannabinoids that cross the blood-brain barrier, and even access a more substantial portion of the endocannabinoid system. The endocannabinoid network (ECS) is spread throughout the body’s nervous system, immune system, hormonal network, pain pathways, and more. The ECS maintains homeostasis, keeping the body in balance, and promoting harmony in the mind. Complete activation of this system is beneficial when preventing and managing a variety of symptoms.
We offer high-quality broad-spectrum products that feature these terpenes. Simply check the description, and if broad-spectrum CBD is mentioned, then you will be enjoying terpene therapy. Keep an eye out for new products such as our terpene vape oils that will be available soon! At CBD Guru, we take pride in our lab tested, high potency, hemp derived CBD products.